Holy Mackerel, this is an easy recipe!
Mackerel is on the menu tonight so I thought I’d share a simple, delicious recipe with you.
Come in and buy your fresh whole mackerel from Fish & Co and give this recipe a try at home – or let us do it for you!
Whole mackerel $19 per kilo, available until Friday. If you miss the boat, (excuse the pun), call us a request some be put aside for you in our next order.
Filleting mackerel is super easy, watch video below the recipe.
Mackerel was one of the first fish that I caught as a fisherman. My friend and I once landed 94 in an hour and a half. My mum arrived at the quay with a clean dustbin and we filled it to the brim – we were giving the fish away by the dozen to anyone we passed on the drive home. Mackerel is at its best when cooked incredibly fresh. Many people say they do not like mackerel because it is oily (that is the whole point of it!), but in this recipe the fish are coated in a hot and sour marinade of piquant horseradish, English mustard and seasoned yoghurt, which cuts through its fattiness. I often demonstrate this dish in a fish class for beginners, and get everyone to fillet the mackerel first.
- 2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 250g Greek-style yoghurt
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard ( made from equal parts English mustard powder and water)
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 sprigs of fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4-6 mackerel ( allow 1 per person)
- Combine the horseradish and yoghurt in a bowl. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper. Mix the mustard with the lemon juice and vinegar, and stir in the lemon zest. Add this mixture to the yoghurt.
- Roughly chop the parsley and stir into the yoghurt mixture. Taste the sauce: the mustard and the horseradish should make it hot (it will lose a lot of its heat when cooked), the vinegar and lemon juice make it sour, and it should also be a little salty.
- Preheat the grill to high. Lay the mackerel fillets skin-side down on a baking tray and spread with the horseradish, lemon and mustard sauce. Grill for 4-5 minutes until the sauce is caramelised on top and the fish is cooked. Serve with a mixed green salad.